March 23, 2018Apply
The Real Justice PAC is hiring a press secretary. You will join a team of experienced campaigners dedicated to leveraging technology to run volunteer-led advocacy and electoral campaigns.
You will spend your days helping to get coverage for our PAC and our candidates that will contribute to winning campaigns and shifting the overton window on the narrative around mass incarceration and police violence in the U.S.
You may do your work embedded inside of our national PAC team, a candidate’s campaign, or as part of an independent expenditure in support of a candidate.
You can learn about our team’s approach to distributed organizing here and here. Read about the kind of candidate platform we support here. Learn about our approach to elections and accountability here.
This position pays $4,000 – $6,000 per month depending on experience.
We believe that a good team is everything. So, in addition to this position, we’re interested in being in touch with anyone who is interested in our approach to ending mass incarceration and getting the boot of the state off the necks of poor people and people of color. If you’re interested in our work but don’t think this job is a good fit, don’t hesitate to reach out, tell us a little about yourself, and ask questions. We’re open to creating roles for the right people.
The best candidates will…
- Be committed to economic and racial justice; be willing to hold Democrats accountable and participate in Democratic primaries on behalf of the most progressive candidate; be willing to challenge the political establishment.
- Enjoy working in a dynamic, fast-paced workplace where no day is the same and you don’t always know what will happen next week.
- Be an quick, clear and forceful writer.
- Be comfortable with a remote workplace. You will interact with your coworkers and with volunteers primarily via Slack, video chat, and phone calls.
- Love and respect volunteers. Volunteers are at the center of everything that we do. We believe that change happens when millions of regular people set out to change the world. Our job is to support volunteer leadership.
- Be committed to winning. To us that means being accountable for outcomes, being willing to test your ideas against reality and adapt if your approach isn’t working, and being willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish our goals.
- Be hands-on in your approach. Ours is not a team for “ideas people” or anyone who is unwilling to personally dive in to manually solve messy, complex, difficult problems. There won’t be someone else to compile press lists for you or clean up your copy. We won’t hire a booker for local radio, if that’s not something you know about you’ll have to figure it out.
- Have some experience working in an accountable, rapid response campaign environment. That said, we care more about who you are than your experience. If you’re willing to work hard and learn fast, you could be qualified for this position.
- Be able to travel, and willing to relocate temporarily if necessary to work on an election.